Friday, January 16, 2009

Reflections on what we "own".

Every day, twice a day, we need to do our chores outside. That is, we need to feed the sheep, chickens and peacocks. It tends to be a solitary time when one may reflect on the events of the day, one's life or what is going right or wrong with chores.



Today it occurred to me, as I walked in the 3 degree weather, that I totally enjoy our home, how we are living and where we live. But in thinking about it, it occurs to me that what we "own", the farm, belongs to us only briefly. It has been here for over 150 years and will survive us, too. Even though we technically own it, we are really only the groundskeepers and stewards. It is our privilege to use, enjoy, and share as we please but the old adage "you can't take it with you" applies.



As a matter of fact, the same may be said about everything we own of a material nature. I have a few items that belonged to my mother and grandmothers and I do treasure them. Upon further reflection, I arrive at the conclusion that it is the MEMORIES they represent which I truly treasure.



I wonder if I can take those memories with me? I suppose it depends upon where I go! Thanks for the memories everyone.



I pormise my next blog will have pictures, I forgot how to put them on and my consultant will be here soon...

1 comment:

  1. it's all true. one of the reasons i like records so much is that i can think about the path that they've traced to eventually arrive in my hands, and all the things that the music has meant to everyone in between.

    all the more reason to appreciate what you have, because you might not have it for long! not to sound like a downer, just this is a good reminder to be thankful for what you've got.

    ReplyDelete