Sunday, March 1, 2009

A good reason to go out on a "bad" day.


This particular "bad" day was gorgeous, but exceedingly cold at below zero.

The radio which awoke us that morning made me want to stay in bed. Eight degrees below zero was enough to make me welcome a warm bed. Unfortunately, that was not an option when the animals, having weathered a very cold night, needed their morning grub. Oh well.

Up and about, I got through the getting ready routine and headed out the door. This particular day had one wonderful attribute - no wind! True it was still bitterly cold and the sun was trying to lift itself over the horizon, but it was clear and beautiful with the hoar frost clinging to... everything. I needed pictures.

I spent the next 20 minutes taking pictures of bushes, fences, the chicken house, etc. I had to stop at times to put my gloves back on because my hands couldn't take the cold. I was also afraid the camera would freeze. It didn't and I got over it. It was a memorable day and I got my reward for needing to drag myself out and about on my appointed rounds.

Somehow the day seems better for having spent the time out in the wonder of the extreme world with the beauty that is there for all to see but consumed by few. I'm thankful.

I will share more of the pics, maybe when summer is here and we're all complaining about how hot it is. Enjoy every day's beauty.

2 comments:

  1. hello there,
    such a philosophical views you have there, and i must admit, i am tempted to know more and absorb more about you and your thoughts. see ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chores completed in an unhurried state are probably the equivalent of meditating. No phones, no body around, repetitive and uneventful but requiring activity and occurring in a predictable manner.

    ReplyDelete